LV=CC Warwickshire record first draw of the season against Lancashire


Chasing 290 for victory at Aigburth Warwickshire drew their match against Lancashire closing on 217-8


Heavy morning rain resulted in play being delayed for 30 minutes with eight overs lost in the day at Aigburth on the final morning but after just one scoring shot for four the covers were back on and at noon play had not recommenced.

Boyd Rankin quickly polished off the Lancashire innings when Hogg was caught by Jim Troughton for fifteen leaving the Bears a target of 290 for victory from a minimum of 75 overs

Warwickshire opened with Neil Carter and Varun Chopra and had reached 59-0 when the rain returned after lunch

The opening pair extended their partnership to seventy two when Carter steered Mahmood to a diving Smith at slip's hands and when William Porterfield followed, giving Keedy a return catch in the spinner's opening over, the Bears had lost two wickets for fifteen runs.

Varun Chopra who had looked to be batting positively top edged Hogg to Horton at slip and when Jim Troughton 2 advanced down the wicket and could only clip the ball to Smith at legslip the Bears were wobbling on 92-4.

Laurie Evans and Tim Ambrose took them to tea with no further loss on 108-4 still requiring 182 more runs from thirty seven overs but with just six wickets remaining.

After tea, Warwickshire batted cautiously against the spin of Keedy and the seam attack of Chapple and Hogg but it was Laurie Evans next to go caught at slip by Smith off Hogg for thirty from ninety two balls.

Ambrose completed his fifty but with the close looming, Rikki Clarke fell for twelve, caught at slip by Horton off Keedy with Warwickshire 210-6 and five overs remaining.

With the game meandering to a draw Croft brought Lancashire's hopes of a victory back when he bowled both Woakes and Patel in the penultimate over of the day leaving Tim Ambrose 66* to block out a final over when surrounded by the entire Lancashire team to secure a draw for the Bears.


Steven Moore and Paul Horton extended their opening partnership to fifty seven before Horton steered a catch to Clarke at slip and then Steven Moore followed again to a terrific Clarke slip catch off Rankin for thirty nine.

Mark Chilton gave Clarke a third catch of the morning this time off Woakes, but a solid unbeaten fourth wicket partnership of fifty five between Karl Brown and Steven Croft took the home side to the interval with a lead of forty eight with seven second innings wickets remaining.

The afternoon session belonged to Lancashire with Croft completing his century just before the tea interval and with Karl Brown on sixty five the fourth wicket pair had added 179 runs when tea arrived.

Warwickshire were a couple of overs behind the rate at the break but the new ball was available immediately after tea and it brought success for the Bears when Croft 122 edged Barker and Clarke took his fourth catch.

This brought a rush of wickets as Smith edged patel to Clarke and he then took a sixth catch when Brown 91 fell to a rising ball from Rankin who then had Cross caught at deep mid-wicket by Barker.

Mahmood gave Clarke a world record equalling seventh catch off Patel while just before the close the ninth wicket went down when Lancashire skipper drove Carter to Patel.

At the close Lancashire had extended their lead to 283 with just one second innings wicket remaining and setting the match up for an exciting final day


It was slow progress for the Bears on the second morning at Aigburth after William Porterfield 13 was trapped lbw to Hogg early on.
Laurie Evans 12 was lbw to Mahmood who earlier had “bowled” Jim Troughton with the first ball of his spell but called no ball by umpire Martin Saggers.
Tim Ambrose drove at Hogg and was given out caught behind by Gareth Cross for eleven but Jim Troughton 35* and Rikki Clarke 3* took Warwickshire to an early lunch, as rain started to fall, on 112-4 still trailing by seventy seven runs.

After lunch Warwickshire added a further eleven runs to reach 123-4 before the rain returned. There was a delay of forty five minutes before play resumed and Rikki Clarke was first to go, lbw to Mahmood for eighteen from another ball that kept a little low.

Jim Troughton and Chris Woakes batted carefully and had reached 173 within sixteen runs of equalling the home score when Troughton drove a loose delivery from Smith straight at Chilton when one short of a half-century.

Keith Barker joined Woakes and took the Bears into a lead of thirty nine, collecting a first batting point when Keith Barker turned a delivery from Keedy straight to Croft at short-leg who completed a tumbling catch to leave the Bears 228-7 at tea with Woakes 46*

Woakes completed his fifty but fell soon afterwards driving Keedy to Smith for sixty and Carter 1, followed quickly afterwards bowled by Chapple.

A last wicket flurry between Patel 28 and Rankin 7 ended when Patel mistimed a drive and the ball looped to Croft at mid-off with the Bears all out for 280 and holding a lead of ninety one.

Warwickshire had sixteen overs to force a breakthrough before the close, but Horton 16 and Moore 13 held out and by stumps the Bears' lead had been reduced to fifty nine.


Warwickshire chose to play Jeetan Patel at Aigburth, rather than newly arrived Shriv Chanderpaul and after winning the toss and putting Lancashire into bat, they found the hosts to be in belligerent mood, with Stephen Moore in particular looking to get on top of the new ball attack.

Racing to 38-0 from just six overs, rain brought a delay of forty minutes and when play resumed, Woakes having changed ends, had Horton caught at slip by Clarke for fourteen. Stephen Moore continued to plunder boundaries, going to lunch on thirty two from thirty eight balls with Karl Brown eight and Lancashire 63-1 from twelve overs.

The pair combined again to remove Karl Brown 9 and Woakes struck again when Chilton 6 edged to Chopra at slip.

With further interruptions for rain and batting looking difficult, only Steven Moore stood out for Lancashire, treating anything short outside the off stump with disdain and despite surviving a straight forward slip chance to Clarke off Barker, he reached his half century with another sumptuous cover drive.

Keith Barker did have more success when Croft 7 was lbw to a ball that kept low, but at 131-4 the home side looked to be heading to post a competitive total when Neil Carter was introduced for the first time into the attack.

With his first delivery, he tempted Moore to flick at a ball down the leg-side and Ambrose took a sprawling catch, while three balls later Carter himself went diving down to cling on to a return chance from Cross.

Chapple could only prod a full delivery low to Porterfield in the gulley to give Carter a third wicket and his 300th first-class one, while Mahmood padded up to his first delivery, a straight one.

Tom Smith 31 and Kyle Hogg 15 added a rapid thirty one before Hogg fell to a flying catch at third slip by Porterfield to give Carter a fifth wicket and the left-arm seamer wrapped the Lancashire innings up when Smith top edged a drive and it steepled to Troughton at mid-off who took the catch to bring the innings to a close on 189 with Carter finishing with career best figures of 6-30 from just fifty three deliveries.

In reply with the rain that had threatened all day returning, Varun Chopra fell to a slip catch by Moore off Chapple for fourteen but with darkening skies and more rain play was finally abandoned for the day with Warwickshire 30-1.

In all twenty eight overs were lost in the day.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter 300 x 50 (2)