Tuesday 5 November 2013 

Edgbaston announces green progress in 2013

 

Edgbaston Stadium is pleased to report that great environmental progress that has been made during 2013 as part of its drive to be the ‘Most sustainable major cricket stadium in the country’.

In just two years Edgbaston has increased the percentage of waste which is recycled from 0.2 per cent to the 2013 level of 56 per cent, with  the remaining 44 per cent diverted away from landfill, reflecting the stadium’s commitment to be a ‘zero to landfill’ venue by the end of 2013.

In 2014, further ambitious environmental objectives include optimising the Club’s energy use and becoming the first sports stadium in the country to implement ISO 20121; the external gold standard for sustainable events management.

Craig Flindall, Finance Director at Edgbaston with responsibility for the stadium’s sustainability programme, commented: “It is really pleasing to note the progress that has been made on waste and recycling in 2013, which reflects a lot of hard work from our Stadium management team with support from our members, spectators and event guests during the year. 

“Our 2012-2016 Strategic Plan set out a number of important Corporate and Social Responsibility (CSR) objectives, which aim to enhance our relationship with our local communities. These initiatives include our funding commitment to recreational cricket, via the Warwickshire Cricket Board, and our ongoing support to our Official Charity Partners, such as Cure Leukaemia, the Lords Taverners and Fisher House.

“A number of other CSR elements are being worked on as we speak and we hope to announce further important news in early 2014.”

Sign Up To Our Newsletter 300 x 50 (2)