Wednesday 14 August 2013 

Kent Spitfires v Warwickshire Bears, Yorkshire Bank 40


Photographs from this match

Put into bat at Canterbury by the Spitfire's skipper James Tredwell, the Bears made a steady start against some accurate bowling, scoring forty off the initial power play and reaching sixty before Chopra 27 mistimed a shot to Nash at mid-wicket off Tredwell in the fourteenth over.

Jim Troughton followed for just a single, caught at deep mid-wicket by Northeast off Tredwell two runs later, and when Maddy four from twelve balls was lbw to Riley, the Bears were struggling on 76-3 in the twenty first over.

William Porterfield completed his second half century in two matches but then went to a Stevens catch off Ball for fifty seven from seventy nine deliveries, before a match changing partnership of sixty nine from fifty two ball between Ateeq Javid 43 and Rikki Clarke 43 came to an end when Clarke mistimed an attempted drive and Northeast completed the catch off Claydon.

Javid was lbw to Stevens, missing an attempted sweep, while Piolet played on to Stevens before the innings closed on 213-7 from the forty overs.

In reply, Rob Key 7, drove Javid low to Jim Troughton at mid-on and Sam Northeast 22, clipped the same bowler off his pads straight to Chopra at short mid-wicket.

Nash and Stevens steadily added thirty five runs in almost ten overs before Nash edged Rankin to wicketkeeper McKay for twenty four.

With Kent falling behind the required rate, Fabian Cowdrey's attempted lap over the keeper's head failed badly and McKay took the simplest of catches to remove the young batsman for six.

Darren Stevens 42* and Geraint Jones 2* had just started to rebuild the Kent innings when one of the floodlights failed and plunged part of the outfield into darkness, reducing down significantly the available light available to the fielding side and the players were forced to leave the field with Kent on 113-4 from 24.3 overs, seven runs behind the Duckworth/Lewis rate.

After a delay of twenty minutes the match was abandoned with no further play possible and the Bears declared winners on the night due to the most unsatisfactory method possible.


Sign Up To Our Newsletter 300 x 50 (2)