Saturday 8 June 2013 

Surrey v Warwickshire, LV= County Championship



Day 4

Warwickshire took just six overs on the final morning to close the Surrey innings, taking the three remaining wickets for the addition of just five runs, leaving them 274 all out. Both Barker and Rankin took four wickets as the last seven Surrey wickets fell for the addition of just twelve runs.

Following-on after trailing by 357, in their second innings, the Surrey opening batsmen Harinath and Burns put on forty six before Patel picked up Harinath’s wicket for twenty six.

Solanki 18, edged Rankin to Ambrose and then Burns 85 did the same from Clarke’s bowling, but after Patel had de Bruyn 19, caught by Chopra, Ponting 38* and Wilson 28* played out twenty overs to earn Surrey a draw.

Warwickshire took eleven points and Surrey seven.

Day 3 

When play finally got underway on the third day after lunch, the opening pair of Burns and Harinath extended their partnership to sixty nine before Barker made an opening breakthrough, when Burns edged him to slip and Rikki Clarke completed the catch.

Vikram Solanki joined Harinath and the second wicket pair had added exactly one hundred runs at five an over when Ateeq Javid took his first LV=CC wicket, trapping Solanki for sixty nine.

Arun Harinath’s patient innings finally came to an end to Rikki Clarke’s bowling for sixty five made off one hundred and sixty six deliveries, before three wickets in an over from Boyd Rankin, returning from England ODI duty and replacing Tom Milnes, changed the whole course of the Surrey innings. He bowled de Bruyn 17 with the second ball of the over, then Meaker 0 to the fourth and then had Wilson 2 lbw with the final delivery.

Four overs later and with what was to be the final ball of the day, Keith Barker dismissed Jason Roy 2, to leave Surrey 269-7 at the close, although ominously Rikky Ponting was still at the wicket unbeaten on fifty. 

Day 2

Jade Dernbach made early strikes for Surrey on the second morning, when he had Chopra caught at slip by de Bruyn for 192 in the third over of the morning and followed up by trapping the other overnight batsman, Ambrose, lbw for eighty four and then Clarke to another de Bruyn catch for six.

 Ateeq  Javid and Keith Barker then batted through to lunch, picking up a fifth batting point with Warwickshire 446-6 at the break.

 After lunch the seventh wicket pair set about re-writing the record books as the batted through the afternoon session and after posting a third partnership in the innings in excess of 150, for the first time since against Notts in 1931, Barker completed his century and went on to make anew personal best while Javid 85 made his highest first-class score.

 Roy came into the attack after tea and took three wickets before the declaration when Warwickshire were 631-9 their eighth highest ever total and a new record against Surrey.

 In the time remaining before the close, in reply,  Surrey reached forty nine without loss.

Day 1

Two partnerships, each in excess of 150, dominated the opening day of Warwickshire’s LV=CC match at Guildford where Jim Troughton’s side were 359-3 at the close, with Varun Chopra unbeaten on an outstanding 187.

Earlier, Jim Troughton won an important toss at Woodbridge Road, Guilford where Surrey entertained the Bears in the latest round of LV=CC matches.

With a lightning fast outfield and a good wicket, Varun Chopra and Ian Westwood, reunited as an opening pair with Westwood’s return to fitness after an ankle injury, made a cautious start against the Surrey opening attack of Lewis and Tremlett reaching just twenty eight from the opening ten overs before a deluge of boundaries took Warwickshire to lunch on 103-0.

After the interval both batsmen completed their half centuries and had extended their stand to 153 when Westwood 71, attempting to cut Gary Keedy in his first over, played on.

Either side of tea, both, Porterfield  11 and Troughton 9 also glanced  inside edges back into their stumps, as Surrey threatened to wipe out the Bears’ strong start with Warwickshire 208-3.

Tim Ambrose joined Chopra who had completed his century just before tea and they raced to a fifty partnership in just seven overs with both men striking boundaries to all parts of the ground as Surrey strove for a further breakthrough, delaying taking the second new ball for a couple of overs until Jade Dernbach, returning from Nottingham after not being selected for the England One Day match against New Zealand, came on to the field replacing Jon Lewis, to bowl the last five overs of the day from the Pavilion End.

Un-phased, Chopra who had been batting all day, cracked the new ball around the ground, as Dernbach 0-30 from his five overs, ironically compared to the replaced Lewis’  0-40 from his eighteen and Tremlett, failed to make a late breakthrough with Chopra 187*and Ambrose 64* completing their one hundred and fifty run partnership just before the close when Warwickshire at the end of a very good day, were 359-3.

Live ball-by-ball commentary is available on BBC Radio WM and BBC Radio Coventry & Warwickshire.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter 300 x 50 (2)