Friday 14 September 2012 

Warwickshire v Hampshire, CB40 Final


Warwickshire failed to collect a second title of the season at Lord’s in the CB40 Final when losing to Hampshire having lost more wickets when scores were level after 40 overs

Photographs from the Final can be found on

In one of the most exciting One-Day Finals for some years, with scores level, the Bears were beaten after 40 overs by virtue of having lost more wickets than their opponents, Hampshire.

With the match advantage see-sawing from one side to the other throughout the day, the Bears were left needing seven to win from the final over before it finally came down with scores level, to needing one run from the last delivery to secure a second title of the season.

Unfortunately for the Bears’ players and supporters, Neil Carter, in his final match for the club, was unable to get a bat on to Kabir Ali’s full delivery and Hampshire collected their second limited overs title of 2012, to accompany their Twenty20 title won at the SWALEC Stadium in August.

Earlier, on a magnificent September day, in front of a crowd of over 16,000 spectators, Jim Troughton won the toss and put Hampshire into bat and openers Michael  Carberry and James Vince got their side off to a cautious start before Carberry hit Woakes for two fours and a six in the sixth over.

It was Neil Carter who made the breakthrough in the next over when Vince 18, pulled the Bears’ left-armer to deep backward square-leg, where Patel took a good running catch.

Chris Wright, before leaving the field with a side strain, forced Carberry 35 to misread a slower delivery, cutting to point, where Patel took a a second catch, diving forward with Hampshire 70-2.

Patel, Blackwell and Maddy kept the Hampshire scoring rate under control with McKenzie 19, bowled attempting a pull by Blackwell, after helping add fifty seven runs for the third wicket with skipper Jimmy Adams.

Adams was finally bowled off an inside edge by Woakes for seventy from sixty six deliveries before Ervine 57 and Katich 35* helped Hampshire to a total of 244 from their forty overs.

In reply the Bears opened with Chopra and Maddy and they posted an opening partnership of fifty three, before Chopra, who earlier had clipped Kabir Ali for six over long-leg, unexpectedly lobbed a simple catch to Adams off Wood for twenty six.

Ian Bell joined Darren Maddy and after he’s hit two early boundaries, the second wicket pair were watchful against some accurate seam bowling from Wood and Griffiths until Maddy 35, pulled a short delivery from Dawson straight to Wood on the mid-wicket boundary.

Tim Ambrose and Ian Bell continued the careful approach and with over a hundred required from the final fifteen overs, the Bears lost Ambrose to Bates’ catch off Wood and Troughton to a superb catch at short extra cover by Adams when driving Ervine.

With the required rate rising Wood bowled Clarke 24 as he attempted to slog a full delivery though mid-wicket and Ian Bell 81 was finally dismissed pulling Griffiths to a running catch by Carberry at deep backward square-leg.

With twenty needed for the final twelve deliveries, Chris Woakes pair of boundaries from the final two balls of the penultimate over left Warwickshire needing seven from the last over to be bowled by Kabir Ali.

Ian Blackwell was bowled with five runs needed and despite Neil Carter hitting the fifth delivery for four, Warwickshire, with Hampshire’s fielders surrounding the bat, needed a single from the final ball of the match to win, as they had lost more wickets than their opponents.

Kabir Ali produced a fast full delivery outside off stump and Neil Carter, in his final appearance for the Bears, swung, but failed to make contact, as the ball went safely into wicket-keeper Bates’ hands as the Hampshire fielders exploded in delight at winning their second limited overs title of the season at the end of a superb game of cricket.

Stranded at the non-striker’s end, Chris Woakes was unbeaten on twenty four.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter 300 x 50 (2)